There is a lot of talk these days about the gut microbiome and how to fix it. But what does that mean, exactly, and how do you go about fixing it?
The gut microbiome is the name given to the vast array of bacteria that live in our digestive system. These bacteria play a vital role in both our physical and mental health, and when they get out of balance, it can cause a range of health problems.
Fortunately, there are a number of things you can do to restore balance to your gut microbiome. Here are a few tips:
- Eat plenty of probiotic foods. Probiotics are bacteria that promote good gut health, and you can find them in fermented foods like yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, and kimchi.
- Eat plenty of fiber. Fiber helps keep your gut bacteria healthy by providing them with the food they need to thrive.
- Avoid processed foods. Processed foods contain unhealthy chemicals and additives that can damage your gut microbiome.
- Get regular exercise. Exercise helps keep your gut bacteria healthy by boosting their numbers and helping them spread throughout your intestine.
- Reduce stress. Stress can cause harmful changes in your gut microbiome that can lead to all sorts of health problems.